The arrival of a baby is a reason for great joy in a family. The excitement, the curiosity and the anxiety are the emotions palpable in every home. No sooner do the doctors confirm the good news than preparations begin with great planning and care given to the wellbeing of the new member.
Shopping for baby-friendly furniture for the nursery, painting the nursery and making it as cozy as possible becomes the most-talked about topic at home. Preparing a list of items the baby will need, the parents begin getting things ready for their bundle of joy.
There are so many things one needs to remember while shopping for the baby, that certain things are sure to get forgotten. For example, making arrangements for the baby’s travel experiences! Yes, the baby will travel in the car and so will need a comfortable seat that keeps him safe, well tucked in and cozy. So, getting safe infant car seats for the baby becomes a number one priority. How else will the baby travel?
Safety seats for infants
Infant safety seats are specially designed to keep infants safe while travelling and protect them during any collisions. Infant car seats are usually installed in the cars by its owners, but sometimes the car manufacturers incorporate these seats with the vehicles along with a few necessary features like anchors and seatbelts. Many countries have made this a rule and infant seats are required legally for their safe travel.
There are child safety laws in place that require a child to be safely restrained depending upon their weight and age. Thus, making use of safe child car seat is a necessity.
Things to remember while buying an infant car seat
- Easy installation: Many a times, the infant car seats fail to get installed correctly resulting in accidents while travelling. So, while buying a car seat for your baby, make sure to buy one that has easy-to-use features like color-coded belt loops and seats with latches. These latches secure the seats directly to the car seat making it extra safe for the infant.
- Easy to carry: Often, the car seat doubles up as a carrier for the baby. But, carrying a baby in a bulky car seat can feel cumbersome, so always look for seats that are lightweight. Carrying the baby in a lightweight seat-cum-carrier will be much easier and will also not affect the parents’ health.
- Comfort: For babies, it is a must that they feel comfortable wherever they are—at home or travelling in a car. Look for car seats that are manufactured using soft material and adjustable harness to keep the baby in snug as well as safe.
- Weight range: Buy an infant car seat that comes in a higher maximum weight for longer usability.
- Safety features: How a safe infant car seat has been installed makes a huge difference to the child’s safety. Seats that protect infants from side-impact crashes help keep the infants safe from collisions on the side of the vehicle.
Types of infant car seats
Convertible car seats
Although convertible car seats don’t make for the perfect car seats for newborns, these seats can be used for older infants. Convertible car seats can be installed either in a rear-facing position or a forward-facing position. Rear-facing weight limits vary from 9.1 to 22.7 kg and the forward-facing convertible seats vary from 9.1 to 40.8 kg. Different manufacturers provide convertible seats in different weights and heights with features like seatbelts, etc.
Seats that have a 5-point harness are considered safer and, it is safe for infants to be placed in a rear-facing seat till they outgrow their convertible seats, or their weight limit for the seats or when their head is within an inch of the top of the shell of the car seat. Average to larger newborns can fit in a convertible car seat comfortably. Convertible car seats last between six to ten years, however, it is better to enquire with the manufacturer or discontinue using it after six years.
Booster car seats
Boosters car seats are those that are for children who are old enough to use seatbelts. Booster seats being too big for infants and with seatbelts that are not manageable by infants, people are encouraged to use the five-point harness to keep the infants safe and secure in the seats. Booster seats have seatbelts that stays firm across the collarbone, chest and the hips of the child. These seats provide elevation so that the shoulder belt rests on the shoulder blade a does not ride up the child’s neck
Booster seats come in two types: high back and no back. Back booster seats do not provide proper protection during a side-impact crash and could put a life at risk. One may place cushions at the back, but these do not improve the safety aspect of the seat. A new booster seat has been introduced that has firm latch connectors that secure the vehicle’s anchors and this in turn improves the stability of the seat.
Rear-facing car seats
Rear-facing car seats support the head, neck and spine of the traveller. Rear-facing car seats offer the best protection to babies and infants and should be used for as long as possible. It is best to install these seats in the back seat of the car instead of the front seat for the simple reason that the passenger seat could have an airbag by its side that will most likely hurt an infant in case it blows up in a collision. The force with which an airbag deploys could seriously injure the infant. The child can be moved to another seat once he grows bigger for this infant seat, or once his head goes higher than the top of the seat.
There are quite a many options to choose from if you wish to buy a safe infant car seat. The best thing to do is to visit websites of the manufacturers of Infant safety car seats and read the reviews shared by the earlier customers. These safe baby car seat reviews will definitely help in making the right choice. These reviews being the experiences of buyers also contain information about the products that give some added tips and pointers to be remembered while buying the infant car seats.
Of course, not every product review will be a positive one. There will be negative reviews based on those customers’ experiences, but finding those products that have more of positive reviews along with some extra information will help you make a better choice.
Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 LX Trueshield Technology
- Adjust handle with one hand, leaving other hand free
- Silent Shade canopy easily and quietly adjusts without disturbing baby
- InRight LATCH system for a one-second LATCH attachment
- 4-position adjustable base lets you customize fit to your vehicle
- Easy-to-read level indicator helps eliminate installation guesswork
This car seat has a hassle free installation. It uses either the vehicle seatbelt of the LATCH for installing. A cheap safe infant car seat, you can install this seat in three easy steps.
This seat keeps the infant safe by providing advanced protection from head to hips. It has an adjustable handle that you can carry in one hand and keep the other hand free. It has a silent shade canopy that works without disturbing the baby. It has a four-position base that can be adjusted and the seat can be fit as per your vehicle’s seat dimensions.
It has a click connect technology that provides a secure attachment with Graco Connect Strollers. This makes it easy to create a travel system for your baby that suits your lifestyle and your needs.
The SnugRide SnugLock 35 LX featuring TrueShield Technology helps protect rear-facing infants from 4-35 Ib and up to 32”. The seat is cushioned and padded, soft and comfortable. Despite being lightweight and easy to carry, it is strong and sturdy enough to ferry around.
I can conclude saying that it is a lightweight safe infant car seat, and that’s one reason why it makes it easy for you to detach it from the vehicle and carry it around easily with your child in it.
Graco Slimfit All-In-One Convertible Car seat, Darcie, One Size
- All-in-1 convertible car seat grows with your child, enjoy 10 years of use from 4 - 120 lb
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of harness and headrest (10 positions) in one motion
- The 4Ever convertible car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built-in 5-point harness system; Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213
- In Right LATCH system for an easy, one-second LATCH attachment; includes easy-to-read level indicator for hassle-free installation; 6-position recline adjusts for fit; Fuss Free harness to get baby in and out easily
- Plush inserts keep your child comfy; washable seat cover is easy to remove without removing the harness; integrated harness storage compartment holds unused harness straps while in the belt positioning booster seat mode
This All-in-One seat grows with the child from 5 – 100 Ib. it is a rear to forward facing and becomes a belt-positioning booster. It comes with unique rotating cup-holders that help you save some space in the back.
It comes with a Safe Adjust Harness System that has an adjustable height and the harness. It also comes with a storage compartment for unused harness straps. Its seat is a belt-positioning booster.
This seat exceeds the US safety standards FMVSS 213 and has undergone the crash testing as well. With the 5-point harness system, the side impacting test has been done for the occupant retention solely for this Slim-fit car seat.
It has a four position recline that helps the growing infant sit in comfortably in the rear as well as forward facing modes.
The Slim-fit convertible car seat has plush supports that keep the child comfortable and are easily removable. Its seat cover is easy to access without having to remove the harness. The seat cover is also washable.
The Slim-fit, All-in-One convertible car seat has a steel reinforced frame that provides strength and durability. The seat saves space in the back seat and at the same time gives enough room for the infant to grow.
The seat has also been side-impact tested and safe-seat engineered. All of these features give you a peace of mind that your infant is safe in his seat behind you as you drive.
Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car seat, Matrix
- 4-in-1 seat grows with your child, so you can enjoy 10 years of use, from 4 - 120 lb. Extend2Fit 4-position extension panel provides 5" additional leg room
- Up to 50 lb. rear-facing allowing your child to safely ride rear-facing longer plush inserts keep your child comfortable washable seat cover is easy to remove without removing the harness
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System headrest and Harness adjust together one-hand, 10-position adjustable headrest easily adapts for your growing child
- In Right LATCH system for an easy, one-second LATCH attachment integrated belt lock-off for easy vehicle seat belt installation easy-to-read level indicator helps eliminate rear-facing installation guesswork
- 2 integrated cup holders keeps your child's drinks or snacks close at hand integrated harness storage compartment holds unused harness straps while in the belt positioning booster mode. Machine-washable seat cushion
The Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 is a seat made for long-term usage. It offers 10 years of use from 4 to 120 pounds. From 4 to 40 pounds, it comes in a rear-facing baby car seat. Its forward-facing car seat can hold 20 – 65 pounds of weight.
Available in a backless belt-positioning mode from 40 – 120 pounds and a high-back belt positioning mode, the booster seats come in 30 – 100 pounds.
The seat has a machine washable cushion. Its steel and plastic parts can be cleaned with a mild soap and cool water and the buckle can be cleaned with a damp cloth. The instructions for its installation as well as the cleaning have been provided in the user manual.
Unlike the Graco Click Connect infant seat, this seat once installed in the car cannot be removed to transport the child in it.
Where to put your car seat
The safest place for car seat for your infant is in the center of the back seat. According to a study, that is the place that is 43% safe for your infants to ride in. Majority of the crashes are frontal impact crashes. Being in the center is the most beneficial as it keeps the infant safe as he is the one most vulnerable in a car crash.
In fact, the back seat is the safest for children of all ages until the time they begin driving.
Get affordable safe infant car seats installed for your baby in the back seat and always make sure the 5-point harness is in place. If it’s an older kid, he can use the seatbelt. A 5-point harness keeps an infant safely tucked in his seat, and keeps him safe in case of a sudden break, or a collision. Seatbelts and safety harnesses keep children safe.
Correctly installed and properly used safe child car seat and booster seats are the saviours of little children in a car collision. Insist on your child wearing his seatbelt, however little or older they might be.
It is very important to remember every little thing that goes in keeping your baby safe and comfortable, right from the moment he steps into the world. Remembering that he will be travelling with you from the hospital will help you make the necessary preparations well in advance. Looking for the best infant car seat that will be comfortable for your little angel and will also keep them safe are the ones to be invested in. Choosing the correct product wisely with the help of product reviews from the respective websites will help you make your decision. Remember, your child’s safety lies in your hands. Buying only good quality products and ensuring their proper use will keep your baby safe and healthy.